For the week of February 20-26
We are 11-12 weeks away from the last frost date for my growing zone 5-6 here. Here are some things you can be doing in the garden this week.
- Start more seedlings of the cool weather crops such as leeks, onions, celery, spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, and peas. These don’t all need started early, as most of these can be direct sown from seed into the ground as soon as the soil can be worked.
- To test the soil to know if it can be worked yet, gather a handful of garden dirt into a ball in you hand-if it remains in a moist ball, the ground is still too wet to work and you will damage the soil (as well as it will be very messy to work in!). If the soil crumbles in you hand like chocolate cake when you squeeze it it is ready to be worked.
- Look for and save any recipes that you think you might be interested in using for the vegetables you plan to grow. (I will be sharing my favorite recipes for each vegetable and fruit as I post about each one)
- On a nice day do a walk around the garden and make a list of what will be needing done as soon as the weather permits.
- Build a cold frame to put your seedlings in.
- The items that were listed in my post of February 13 –SEE HERE-can all still be worked on.