For the week of February 13-19
I garden in zone 5/6 and we are 15-16 weeks away from our last frost date. This is what can be done in the garden this week….
- Gather the seed starting supplies that you have on hand and purchase what ever else is needed. Clean old pots and make markers.
- Inventory the seeds you have on hand and order what else is needed.
- Do a seed viability test on old seeds to see if they are still good to plant.
- Start seeds of cold hardy vegetables such as leeks, onion and celery, spinach, Swiss chard, lettuce and peas.
- Start seeds of hardy perennials.
- Order bare-root perennials, plants and shrubs. Also rhubarb, asparagus, artichoke and horseradish crowns.
- When the weather is nice, you can work on the compost pile and do general tidying up around the garden.
- Repair, sharpen and clean the garden tools if needed. Tune-up and service mowers and power tools.
- Take a walk through of the garden and make note of what is needing done. Make plans to fix, repair, or replace anything needing it.
- Write you garden plans out and make a planting schedule. Begin a garden journal.
- Inventory any vegetables in cold storage and discard the bad.
- Try growing sprouts.
- Begin pruning fruit trees and shrubs.
- Care for your indoor plants. They are responding to more daylight hours and will begin putting out new growth. Give a good pinching back and keep watered and fertilized.
- Force branches for indoor color.
- Apply dormant oil to fruit trees.