It is the time of year to start thinking about starting seeds
for this summer’s garden.
What are some of the reasons why you should start your own seeds?
- More choice of variety. With the variety of seed choices, mainly through seed catalogs-see here– the choices are almost endless. Nurseries, greenhouses and big stores mainly sell starter plants and seeds of the most common, familiar, and tried and true varieties. There is nothing wrong with the old tried and true varieties, that is why they are sold year after year, but there are so many more varieties to try. By ordering your seeds, you are not stuck with the small choice of varieties.
- More plants for less money. Most seed packets contain 30 or more seeds, and it is much more economical than a 4 or 6 pack of bought starter plants. This point needs qualifying-the initial cost will be greater. You will need certain supplies to begin with, but these are mostly 1 time expenses. Once you have these items, the main yearly cost is mostly just the seeds and soil.
- Seeds can be started for the proper and extended planting times in your area. You can start seeds earlier than usual if you want to plant out early if you have the proper season extending covers, or seeds can be started later for an extended fall and winter harvest. It is nearly impossible to find starter plants to buy in mid to late summer for a fall and winter harvest.
- Seeds can be saved from year to year, and varieties can become custom to your locale. By saving seeds from plants that display certain traits that you desire, such a bigger size, different color or taste, or better disease or pest resistance, or just in general do well for you, you can eventually end up with a custom variety well suited to your specific growing area. This is how many of the heirloom varieties have come about, they have been saved and passed down through the years.
- You can control how the seedlings are grown in regards to watering, fertilizing, and thinning. Actually there is very little thinning needed if you start your own seeds as you control how they are planted.
- The crowds are avoided in the spring planting rush. I am always amazed at the frantic folks buying their starter plants and rushing to get them planted in the short planting window.
- You won’t be disappointed when many of the starter plants are sold out You won’t be left planting what you really didn’t want because what you wanted was sold out.
- You can experience the fun, excitement, and enjoyment of gardening while it is still winter outside. What better way to spend part of your days stuck inside-watering, tending, and watching green, growing things.
Let the planting begin!
Do you start you own seeds?
See to it that no one misses the grace of God
and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.