Maybe we should call this week of posts the cake week?
Here is the second cake that I made for the benefit spaghetti dinner at the New Bethlehem Wesleyan Methodist School.
This recipe was found on, of all places, Facebook! But it looked very intriguing to me, so I thought I would give it a try.
(All those poor people at the dinner didn’t know that they were guinea pigs, being experimented on!) Thankfully, this turned out good!
Even the name of this cake intrigued me…..
The Famous Woolworth’s Ice Box Cake
A totally different kind of cake than the previous Snickers Cake. This one is very light and refreshing, with a wonderful tang of the lemon.
3 oz. box of lemon jello
1 cup boiling water
8 0z. cream cheese,
(softened at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
5 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 can evaporated milk,
graham crackers, crushed and divided
1. Dissolve the jello in the boiling water. Stir till completely dissolved, then let cool till thickened.
2. Beat together the softened cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice with a mixer until smooth.
3. Add the thickened jello and beat well.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the chilled evaporated milk till fluffy.
5. Add the jello mixture to the whipped milk, and mix together till combined.
6. Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with most (3/4) of the crushed graham cracker crumbs.
7. Spread the filling over the crumbs.
8. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the top of the cake.
A sample again….
Again, no left overs to take home
Does anyone remember this cake being served at Woolworths?
Psalm 119: 142
“Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
and thy law is the truth.”